Need to replace your BlackBerry Bold 9900/9930 keyboard?

Hello everyone, and BlackBerry Bold 9900/9930 owners.

For some, typing on our BlackBerry Bold 99xx keyboard is a daily necessity to communicate with our family, our friends, our girlfriend(s) ehh easy there buddy! & our boyfriend(s) come on! you too!

There’s a ton of apps which require us to send messages via Twitter for BlackBerry #T4BB 4.0.0.15 [yeah, I’m hardcore; see my 30K blog], Facebook for BlackBerry 3.3.0.11 (for all those who like to converse via the “Chat” feature or send a PM here or there (wanna be friends?)

Maybe it’s via IM, such as Google Talk (which got a huge version jump to 10.0.0.103), but people, I tell you now, nothing…absolutely nothing compares to the KING of BlackBerry communication ladies & gentlemen, and that is….BlackBerry Messenger 7.0.0.126

Yep, BlackBerry Messenger, which has evolved into such a popular application, that no other mobile platform can even touch it!

As of current, the latest version BlackBerry Messenger 7.0.0.130 (for all you BlackBerry Beta Zone users) unless of course you wish to just install the latest official version, and since I have some time on my hands, I’ll even provide the links above just for you, my readers, and followers (hopefully).

Anyways, the whole point of this blog is that due to all this crazy non stop ’round the clock (for some) typing on your BlackBerry device, it seems to rapidly exceed the wear and tear on our keyboard (take a look at mine below, brutal, ehh?)

Bold 9900 BLK

My Bold 9900 keyboard snapped on Jan.18/2013 20:00

What is the solution you ask?

Go to your local mall? naaaa maybe Walmart? riiiiight –  try again!

Best place to buy a replacement BlackBerry Bold 99xx keyboard is either eBay or Amazon, which cost a lot less than anywhere else for the said mentioned above.

Guess how much it cost to replace a keyboard? $50? $40 nope ok, how about $30! no…..how about US$12 bucks! Yep.

So, for US$12 bucks, (sometimes even include shipping) a brand new keyboard for your BlackBerry Bold 9900/9930 device.

If you noticed, these pictures I snapped up (Jan.18/2013) shows a brand new keyboard without the track-pad membrane/PBC flex cable as I messed up the first order via @eBay….ooops

9900 keyboard w/o membrane [top view]

9900/9930 keyboard w/o membrane [top view]

Keyboard 9900 BTM VIEW

9900/9930 keyboard w/o membrane [bottom view]

This picture below shows a new Bold 99xx keyboard, including the track-pad membrane, and the PBC flex cable, if you’re not sure what that is, see the  pictures I have provided to make it as easy as possible.

Bold 9900/9930 keyboard

Bold 9900/9930 with membrane [top view]

keyboard side by side

keyboards side by side

Next is tools…uhh yeah, tools.

What? did you think you were just gonna snap it off with your bare hands, and snap it back on, ohhh how we wish it were that easy.

side by side keyboard w tools

side by side keyboard with required tools

Attention: You may follow these steps, I would like to note that I’m not responsible if you mess up your BlackBerry Bold 9900/9930 device due to performing this keyboard replacement at your own risk.

1. Remove the battery cover and battery.
  2. You need a case opener tool to remove the small plastic cover on the bottom front of the Bold 99xx device.
  3. There’s 2 x silver T5 screws you need to remove from the device.
  4. Use your case opener tool to pry open the keyboard very carefully.
  5. The keyboard is connected to the motherboard via a single ribbon cable.
  6. You need to carefully snap off the single ribbon cable from the motherboard.
  7. Take your brand new keyboard, and reconnect the single ribbon cable to the motherboard.
  8. Grab the 2x silver T5 screws, and screw back the keyboard to your  device.
  9. Apply the small plastic cover back to the bottom front of your device.
  10. Enjoy your brand new keyboard on your BlackBerry Bold 9900/9930 device, and if you did it because of my webpage, please share furiousguido.com to your family & friends. Thank you very much!

Please post any comments below if you have any questions, concerns, or issues you may have with this blog, and I will reply back as soon as possible (usually within 1 hour).

UPDATE  Jan.19, 2013 @ 03:45 PM

If you’re wondering why I haven’t posted an after picture of my BlackBerry Bold 9900 keyboard replacement, it’s ’cause my cheap case opener tool broke as I was attempting to pry the crappy one for the new one – will tweet an update later on today. TY!

[Toronto, ON, Canada//E.S.T. Eastern Standard Time Zone]

Advertisements

About furiousguido

F♡ŦM 10-2012 @BlackBerry @Twitter @Android αĐĐι¢т, ѕυρєя-gяєαт gυу, social media adventurer, Ňòțĕ4 5.0.1 , #Passport 10.3.1 #TeamBlackBerry C000194AC
This entry was posted in BlackBerry Stuff and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Need to replace your BlackBerry Bold 9900/9930 keyboard?

1. Reblogged this on rngeek1966 and commented:
    You really wore down those keys. #mindblowing

2. stugiii says:

Do you void your warrant with RIM if you replace the keys by yourself? The amount you wore out your phone is impressive :p

• furiousguido says:

My answer would have to be yes…many users will likely mess up their BlackBerry device, therefore, when the owner contacts POP (point of purchase) retail store, and observes that it has been opened by a non-professional & un-authorized person, your device will be noted in their system as tampered, hence, voided warranty.
      OR
      find a pro (like me) or someone who knows what they’re doing, and get it done right (anyone couldn’t even tell you’ve replaced the keyboard).

3. Hiya,

My spacebar and “l” buttons have been acting up lately. Sometimes when I push my spacebar (on the right side mostly) it does nothing and it’s really frustrating when trying to type quickly. My “l” buttons commonly spits out two “l”s with a single push, which is reallly(sic) frustrating as well!

Would a simple keyboard swap fix this? I plan on opening my phone up (ordered the tools for a few bucks with shipping!) to check the wifi antenna as my wifi is crappy too, and I have experience opening up my old Curve 8900 to change the bezel/housing.

Any help would be much appreciated!

• furiousguido says:

Hi Eric,

I would first re-boot (battery pull), then seriously consider updating your BlackBerry OS7 device to OS7.1.0.923 (latest Official) for BlackBerry Bold 9900.

If your “I” issue remains, it may indeed be your keyboard.

The cost to purchase a BlackBerry Bold 9900 keyboard (with module) is approx. US$20-30 may be even less (keep an eye on the seller’s feedback score) & eBay shipping costs.

Some Bold 9900 keyboard’s have a “bundle deal” which may or may not include tools to remove your defected keyboard.

Remember to take extreme care when removing the Bold 9900 keyboard (if u need further reminder) just check out @YouTube for Bold 9900 keyboard removal.
      Hope this helps a little:)
      Keep me posted.

Sent from WordPress for BlackBerry Bold 9900™

• Thanks for the reply. I’ve restarted the device many times; it is definitely a hardware issue. As for OS, I’ve read reviews on the latest and it’s not the best. I’m satisfied with the current OS.

As I really think this is a hardware issue, do I need to get a new keyboard membrane as well or just a new keyboard would suffice?

• furiousguido says:

I don’t know which OS you’re running at the current moment, but I’m running 9900/7.1.0.923 (B2534) and it rocks, I have a ton of actual usage with this OS, and if you ever change your mind, I highly recommend it.
        As for the keyboard, don’t make the mistake of just buying the keyboard by itself.
        Make sure it has the membrane, as shown on many @eBay listing for only US$20-30 like I mentioned above.
        Plus, you already have the tools to pry open your old keyboard, & remove those 2 little screws (don’t misplace them, they’re small) lol
        Take care, and the best of luck my friend!

• I’m using the latest Rogers OS and am pretty happy with it so I’ll leave it for now.

I just want to confirm…would this be sufficient?

Thanks again!

• furiousguido says:

Yep, that’s what you need:) enjoy!